So you want to whiten your teeth? It’s a cost-effective way to beautify your smile, look younger, and feel more confident when you interact with people in business or social settings.
Here are 5 things The Reno Dentist recommends when it comes to teeth whitening:
- Meet with your dentist for a consultation first. There are several different teeth whitening systems and a consultation will help you determine which technique is best for you.
- It is essential to know that whitening does not affect existing fillings, veneers, or crowns.
- During your consultation, decide how many shades lighter you want your teeth to be at the end of the treatment. Depending on the whitening technique chosen, your teeth can be brightened three to eight shades. An in-office procedure achieves a degree of lightening that cannot be achieved with an OTC product. During your treatment, your dentist may apply a coating to protect your gums and roots while the bleaching agent is applied.
- An alternative method is to have your dentist customize a take-home kit for you. Make sure you follow the instructions accurately. First, molds are made from your upper and lower arch. Then the lab creates trays to hold the bleach. While this treatment plan may take longer, it is more economical and more convenient for many patients. Teeth whitening results from either treatment plan can last from six months to two years.
- With any of the teeth whitening systems, tooth sensitivity may take place. In most cases, it won’t last for more than a day or so. Call The Reno Dentist if it lasts longer.
The Reno Dentist offers general, restorative, and cosmetic dental services including root canals, wisdom teeth extraction, dentures, and porcelain veneers. At The Reno Dentist, quality care and a comfortable patient experience are our top priorities.