Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. At The Reno Dentist, your dental health is always our top priority, which is why we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt additional erosion if some has already occurred.
Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion.
- Brushing too-forcefully can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva, which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been affected. Call The Reno Dentist in Reno NV to schedule an appointment. Our services include geneal and family dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry. Call today!
Contact The Reno Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):