A cracked tooth in Reno can be painful, unattractive, and expensive to repair. Today’s post in The Reno Dentist dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth strong.
1. Avoiding a cracked tooth means avoiding chewing on hard objects. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be wary of pitted fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the pit, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is vital to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth guard.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package. Rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing without using teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is dangerous, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth in Reno? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to a cracked tooth in Reno, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental implants are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth. If you crack a tooth, call 775-322-5016 to schedule an appointment with a professional dental team in Reno.